Thursday, February 25, 2010

Internationally Known, Not Just Known to Rock the Microwaaave

I don't know what it is. Maybe it is something about having too many perplex dishes or hitting that quarter life crisis, but there is something beyond appealing about pizza. Piece of dough, tomato sauce, melted cheese, and some meat topping and your day gets better. It is a sure win and it is comforting. Well… knowing me, it can't be that simple!

Korean pizza. I heard about this concept 3 years ago but never acted on it - let's face it, if I am going to K-Town in LA, I am going to grill meat, end of discussion. But recently, my friend had told me about Pizza and Chicken Love Letter in Cerritos. Appealing because it is in the 'burbs where parking is abundant and it is away from the temptation of Korean BBQ. Thanks to Yelp, I found a closer location right in front of my parents' house in a random, janky strip mall. SCORE! Why Korean pizza you ask? It is atypical. Ok more? Rather than your traditional pepperoni (which, don't get me wrong, I LOVE), they have zany toppings like bulgogi. Do I need to say anymore? You can put that meat anywhere and it is delicious! All right, if that has not hooked you. This place also has a potato and sweet potato topping. Ok the former is becoming more main stream so we will let that slide but you still doubt carb on carb? Sounds too heavy? Well, it is not too much if the restaurant does it right. Sliced thin or chopped small and the starchiness will not be overwhelming. Enter Pizza & Chicken Love Letter's sweet potato pizza – WOW!

First of all, if you love (yellow) sweet potato, then this is it. If you are not a fan of this starchy friend, then you will NOT get the point of Pizza & Chicken Love Letter. They take a pan-roasted crust and pile on diced sweet potato, pineapple, sausage, onions, corn, tomato sauce, and cheese. If you're feeling more adventurous (and you should because you've already walked through the door), upgrade to the "gold" crust where they fill the pizza crust with mashed sweet potato. I have never tasted such an amazing combination – all these flavors together work! It is just the right amount of savory remixed with natural sweetness from the sweet potatoes. It might be weird for some people, but again, if you enjoy sweet potatoes, then you will like this pizza.

Did I mention this place was super cute? It made me think I was in a CUE photo booth. It is a little barny because of the brownish wood interior and red & white checkered tables. The place is lined with booths for a more intimate love session… with yo' pizza! The walls are decorated with cartoonish writing along with cheesy chicken mascots that remind you of the Asian authenticity of this place.

They also have a variety of different chicken styles and flavor. One of them is chicken bulgogi that has been baked in cheese – tell me how awesome does that sound? While the sweet chili chicken wings are as addictive as Nutella, I happily optted for the sweet potato gold pizza because it is… just… that… amazing. Between the cute atmosphere and unique combinations, this place is stomach-worthy fo' sho!

These are the location addresses:

18333B Colima Rd.
Rowland Heights, CA 91748

8891 Garden Grove Blvd.
Garden Grove, CA 92884

11752 Garden Grove Blvd.
Garden Grove, CA 92884

No comments:

Post a Comment