Thursday, February 18, 2010

You Must Be My Lucky Star

Have you ever paid $45+ for ice cream? I thought fine dining ended at steak or sushi, but somehow I managed to pay that much for one of The Milk Shop's French Macaroon ice cream sandwiches…

Is their ice cream really worth that much? You can say it is debatable. Admittingly, I didn't really pay $45+ for just ice cream – 95% went to the city for illegally parking my vehicle 5 minutes in the residential area to satisfy my sweet tooth. Can you really blame me? I had already driven 15 minutes out from the Westside for their limited edition blueberry French Macaroon ice cream sandwich that I have never ever had. Am I asking too much to just have a parking spot ready for me at 10pm? Seriously, parking on Beverly has become a pain in the a-hole ever since two years ago. On the weekends, El Coyote is nice enough to lend out their lot (for a fee) but good luck on a busy night. If they are full, you are pretty much stuck driving around the neighborhood until you stumble on a meter. And despite all those grade school grammar lessons on double negatives, Milk double-jabs you with their constant price increases. $1 increase in less than a year is pretty horrendous, especially considering how affordable they used to be in 2006 ($2.50 for an ice cream sandwich vs. $4.50 now!). Yet despite all obstacles, I keep coming back. I'm a damn fool in love, and Milk is just magically delicious. This is why:

French Macaroon Ice Cream Sandwiches – Take the best two sweets man ever invented and then twist it with some shi-shi French influence to make it even more mind-blowingly amazing. The French Macaroon part is sweet and chewy, holding its own against the silky ice cream. The textures play off each other well as you get a bit of substance in between a flash freeze of cold. My favorite is the Toffee Coffee –strong overall coffee taste with bits of chocolate covered toffee for an extra bite. I also enjoy their many unpredictable seasonal flavors. It gets me in the store every time! My favorite is the Rose French Macaroon Ice Cream sandwich that is only available on Valentine's Day week. It is quite the treat if you are into fragrant-tasting food.

Blue Velvet Cake – If you believe in puppies and have a ridiculous sweet tooth, then yes. Saay whaat? You will have a new favorite birthday gift after a bite. Unbelievably moist with a tasty cream cheese frosting… Bits of blueberry dancing in between each frosted layer… Just rich, guilty indulgence. And just when you think you have had your way with the cake, it gives you another magical experience. Your very own blue Easter Egg! Ask me after.

Espresso a la Mode – It took me 4 years before I knew this existed. I have spent all my energy on the FMac & Blue Velv that I skip the menu. After going with a new group of people and candidly giving them disgusted looks for ordering items other than the aforementioned, I was exposed to this concoction containing 2 scoops of vanilla + 2 shots of espresso + chocolate syrup + whipped cream + hazelnuts. For someone who loves coffee-flavored things, I was in heaven. Contrast of hot and cold. Bitter and sweet. Creamy and nutty. I became an instant fan – so much that I did not even get a FMac during my latest run. I went straight for this dish with a few minor tweaks because who wants to be boring vanilla: 1 scoop coffee toffee ice cream + 1 scoop peanut ice cream + 2 shots of espresso + light chocolate syrup + hazelnuts. Too much? Nah… I had no problems sleeping that night. I was more than satisfied.

Inventive ice cream sandwiches. Tasty cakes. Bold items. Yeah, I will be back (sans the parking ticket hopefully). There really isn't any dessert place out there that can do what they do.

7290 Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90046

No comments:

Post a Comment