Thursday, March 4, 2010

Nobu Matsuhisa = Genius

It's so good, I like, cry. Not to quote Paris Hilton and all, but the best sushi / Japanese food I have ever had came from this man.

So I remember reading People magazine and thinking how ridiculous it was that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie spent 4+ hours dining at a restaurant for their anniversary or something. It was probably just a PR play to show that their magic was still there right? Yeah, no. After dining at Nobu Malibu, I can see how anyone (with deep pockets) can EASILY spend so much time at one restaurant... eating and eating and eating. Bragelina must have been at Nobu or Matsuhisa because those places are just exquisite.

Tucked away in the hills, Nobu Malibu is neither pretentious or shi shi. It is fancy - don't get me wrong - but in a classy way. The music isn't blaring loud like some of the other obnoxious places in Hollywood. The waiter (great guy Kevin who's been there since only October '09) is down-to-earth, friendly, and straight-up knowledgeable about everything sushi-related. Did you know that all their waiters go through intense training courses on the fish and menu?? I have never had such great service at a high-end place, hands down. This guy paced our dishes so that we were never overwhelmed. He ordered our dishes so that there was a balance between light and heavy, savory and salty, fish and beef, and any other yin yang that I missed because I was hypnotized by the food.

I had more "hot" or cooked dishes at this place than I did at Matsuhisa, but everything I had came out beautifully and magnificent...

<-- Big Eye Tuna on Miso Chip (Cold Dish) - Coolness on top of sweet, crispy chip = win







Tiradito (Cold Dish) - White fish in ponzu/lemon juice with kick of Peruvian sauce ramps up your appetite with the punch of tartness from this dish -->


<-- Yellowtail Sashimi (Cold Dish) - Every fine Japanese restaurant has their
own version of this now, but did you know Nobu was the mastermind behind this dish?


Spicy Tuna Crispy Rice Lettuce Cup (off the menu) - Did I not
say it was artistic? -->

<-- Tempura King Crab in Jalapeno Ponzu Sauce (Daily Special) - Very meaty and succulent!






California Roll Nobu has a rice plant in
Japan that
makes rice JUST for him... that's pretty gangster, and makes for the best CA Roll I've ever eaten - definitely nothing like the Costco sushi roll trays, hah!-->



<-- Beef "Toban" Yaki (Hot Dish) - Brought out on a hot plate, it
sizzles with a fragrant butter sauce that is enough to make Paula Dean blush and will put you in pure meat sin...


Tempura King Crab Roll (Off the Menu) - I just wanted to show how meaty this crab roll was. Nobu definitely does not skimp on the good stuff -->



And lastly, 3.5 hours later after the kitchen is closed and the staff starts to clean up, I get to the best part... DESSERT! With a short selection, it is a fairly easy decision - well at least until the waiter goes on to describe the DNA of each dessert, then things get a little complicated. So being the problem-solver that I am, I requested an Omakase of dessert that well... I polished off myself because my buddy lacked a sweet tooth. Luckily for him, I have two rows of sweet teeth.


The dessert omakase included a hazelnut cookie ice cream sandwich complete with a duo of caramel and vanilla ice cream. The cookie was soft and easy to inhale, which I did. The spring rolls was dark chocolate and white chocolate, and came with three sauces--strawberry, chocolate, and caramel. This was ok but I am generally not a fried egg roll fan (I'm a spring-er). The shiso crepe stopped me in the middle of my conversation. I had a moment where everything else in front of me faded away and my mind went numb while my taste buds went into overdrive. How can a green pocket of warm caramel and caramelized banana be so delicious?! The mint crepe was soft and comforting, and just made me want to eat more. As full as I was, I scarfed them both down because this goodness was not to be missed. I am generally no crepe girl (yeah weird right? guess I am more of a guy), but their's was a little thicker and more substantial... a little airy. It was almost a light, spongy bread but not? Not to mention, pairing it with the vanilla ice cream just made it great. I would easily opt for this dessert over ANY chocolate souffle and that is a pretty bold statement guys. Did I mention the vanilla ice cream sat on top of a crunchy meringue? What a nice surprise! I thought I finally found a flaw at Nobu in that they had served me old freezer-burnt ice cream. No, I just got punked. It was actually another texture surprise hidden under good stuff. And lastly, the strawberry ice cream. I'll admit, my "mature" taste buds have taken me away from fruit flavors which include the aforementioned but I was so ever surprised that this tasted like an actual strawberry. It was not the fake Quik Strawberry Milk powder ice cream, it was the bite of an actual strawberry in season. Just slightly tart and refreshing, cooled as it just came out of the fridge. Amazing, Nobu, amazing.

This is such a great Japanese restaurant that the only one that trumps it is Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills, and that is only because I had more of his sushi dishes and all those were just mind-boggling good. Really really ridiculously good.

Nobu Malibu
3835 Cross Creek Road #18A
Malibu, CA 90265

Nobu Hollywood
903 N. La Cienega Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90046

Matsuhisa
129 N. La Cienega Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous and funny writing ("two rows of sweet tooth" - HA!). You should be on the food channel. ;)

    LV

    ReplyDelete