Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ice Queen

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream... well, I just eat it. LOTs of it.

When I was a kid, I loved rainbow sherbet. You know the ones that come in a rectangle square box from Thrifty's where the colors are meshed into each other? (Man, I don't know how those paper boxes every lasted. They got so mushy by the end of their freezer career!) When I was 5 years old or so, my mom had given me the OK to eat ice cream after lunch - probably because I spent another day being the best kid EVER. She was tired so she left it up to me to scoop my own bowl of dairy confection goodness while she napped. With a little spoon for my little hands and a frozen box of ice cream, I slowly chipped away at the rainbow ice and transferred it into my bowl. It was the first time I got to control my sugar portions, and with my mom asleep, it was the perfect time to capitalize on an opportunity o' greed. Scoop... scoop... scoop... I was so focused on my growing ice cream pile, I failed to realize that it had already been 30 minutes later. In life's greatest irony, my mom woke up and saw me with my huge mammoth of ice cream and immediately decreased my load by half. Epic fail.

A bit long-winded but that began my love for ice cream. What isn't there to like really? It's sweet, creamy, and slowly melts so you can enjoy all aspects of it. Or it's still sweet and creamy but you bite through it so fast that your teeth turns cold and you're caught in an immediate brain freeze - what a rush!

20+ years later, I am still the ice queen I once was. I tried to boycott store-bought ice cream 2 years ago because I was extremely upset by the incredible shrinking ice cream boxes - I couldn't believe that Dreyers Ice Cream boxes kept shrinking as their prices kept soaring. I know we're in a midst of a tough economy but I don't like being bamboozled. Don't just sneak in a smaller box and expect me not to notice! Seriously! Dreyers was smart though. They countered my boycott by teasing me with Dreyers Limited Edition Flavors. If these flavors were only going to be on shelves for only so long, I will have to try it as a true ice cream lover before it go-goes. Sigh... ice cream undefeated, me 0. Here is a short recap of the Limited Edition flavors that I just so happen to have on-hand...












  • Egg Nog - I get it every year during the holidays; it's better than drinking!
  • Vanilla Sandwich - If you love ice cream sandwiches, then you'll like this. Not only that, but it's almost like Cookies and Cream 2.0. There are so many cookies pieces and they're so much bigger at that. Bigger is better! (Greedy confessions of a fat kid by the way.)
  • Hot Cocoa - If you dig marshmallow texture; I don't but I like that this takes me closer to Serendipity's Frozen Hot Chocolate.
  • Mud Pie - It sounds good but it could use a bolder coffee flavor, especially given how delicious coffee ice cream just is.
Other noteworthy Dreyers Limited Editions not pictured:
  • Apple Pie a la Mode - Saw it once, got it, and never regretted it! The caramelized apple pieces with graham cracker crust interwoven throughout the box - amazing!
  • Pumpkin Pie - Do you like Thanksgiving? Then get it!
You are brilliant Dreyer's. Not only do I keep gaining weight but I continue throwing money your way with your constant inventions. What great marketers...

No comments:

Post a Comment